More of…Hotels of The Tweed & Coolangatta
In 1886, George Wells opened the first hotel in Tweed Heads, then officially called ‘Cooloon’. This hotel was opposite the Presbyterian Church. Two yearslater he moved into new premises on the corner of Wharf Street and Navigation Lane. The new hotel was built by Denis Hartigan and was named the Pacifique. Wells was one of the pilot, Captain W. McGregor’s original four boatmen whose job it was to guide shipping in and out of the river and safely over its infamous bar.
George and his wife, Harriet, prospered and he began oyster farming, a pioneer in this industry. In 1894, a disastrous ailment, ‘red worm’ attacked his stock. On the… More